Intra-Company Transfer Work Visa

Intra-Company Transfer Work Visa is a visa acquired through the Canadian International Mobility Program which is exempt from the requirement of obtaining a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Although LMIA-exempt, workers, and employers who utilize the Intra-Company Transfer program must comply with all provisions governing temporary work in Canada, including obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa.

In three years immediately preceding the date of the initial application, transferees must have been employed with the foreign enterprise continuously for at least one year, in a full-time position similar to the position they will be occupying at the Canadian business. The Canadian business will also have to demonstrate a qualifying relationship with its foreign counterpart. Work in Canada must fall under one of three following functions:

  • Executives and Senior Managers
    • Executive: An employee who primarily directs the management of the enterprise or a major component thereof.
    • Senior Manager: An employee who manages all or part of the enterprise and supervises/controls the work of other managers or professional employees.
  • Functional Managers
    • An employee who manages a function that is essential to achieving the company’s goals, but does not necessarily manage employees.
  • Specialized Knowledge
    • An employee who can demonstrate specialized knowledge, which in turn means knowledge at an advanced level of expertise and proprietary knowledge of the enterprise’s products, services, processes, and procedures.


Spouse and Children of an Intra-Company Transfer can bring their family to Canada, while they can also get a work visa and or Study Visa to temporarily work and Study in Canada.



The following documentation is required for INTRA-COMPANY TRANSFER WORK VISA:

  • confirmation that the foreign national is currently employed by a multi-national enterprise outside Canada, and seeking entry to work in a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate of that enterprise in Canada;
  • confirmation that the foreign national has been employed (via payroll or by contract) continuously (full-time, not accumulated part-time) by the enterprise outside Canada, in a similar full-time position, for at least one year within the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application;
  • outline of the applicant’s position in an executive or managerial capacity or one involving specialized knowledge (i.e. position, title, place in the organization, job description);
  • in the case of “specialized knowledge”, evidence that the person has such knowledge and that the position in Canada requires such knowledge;
  • outline of the position in Canada (namely, position, title, place in the organization, job description);
  • indication of intended duration of stay; and
  • description of the relationship between the enterprise in Canada and the enterprise in the foreign country (the officer may request tangible proof to establish the relationship between the Canadian and foreign organizations wishing to make the transfer).